Following the passage of the 1985 Liberty Coin Act, the American Silver Eagle became the country’s official silver bullion coin. Adolph A. Weinman’s Walking Liberty, which was previously seen on the Walking Liberty Half Dollar, is portrayed on its obverse, while the reverse features a heraldic eagle designed by John Mercanti.
The American Silver Eagle bullion coins are IRA-approved.
- Designer: Adolph A. Weinman (obverse); John Mercanti (reverse)
- Issue Dates: 1986 to present
- Face Value: $1.00
- Mints: Philadelphia, San Francisco, and West Point
- Gross Weight: 1.000 troy oz (31.103 g)
- Diameter: 40.6 mm
- Thickness: 2.98 mm
- Composition: 99.9% silver